The Second Interconnecting Study
Vincenzo Brenna (1799) also designed the finish to the Second Interconnecting Study. One niche originally had a stove executed in the same style as the interior. It was replaced in the 1870s by a simple iron one, though this was removed at the start of the twentieth century, when it was judged to be unartistic and not corresponding to the original appearance of the room. The other niche contained the marble group Ganymede and the Eagle (Italy (?), late 18th century), a copy from the work in the Vatican Museum by a seventeenth century sculptor from the Francois Duquesnoy circle (previously considered to date from ancient times). This group is now situated in front of the window. The windows are faced with artificial marble and on their carved frames are marble bas-reliefs executed and signed by J. Scheffauer, the court sculptor of the Duke of Wurttemberg.
The original three bas-reliefs were The Burial of Patrocles's Remains (1797), Orestes, Pilades and Electra (1797) and Perseus (1799). These vanished during the war. Now in their places, in the original restored frames, are two bas-reliefs recreated from photographs by the sculptor V. Grigoriev (1958). Blue porcelain vases stood under the bas-reliefs on pedestals. A secretaire (Weisweller, late 18th century) now stands under one of them. On it is an elegant French clock with an open mechanism, the only one of its kind in a Russian museum. The niches contain two cobalt vases (Imperial Porcelain Factory, St Petersburg) with figures of satyrs after a model by J.-D. Rachette (1798).