The Dressing Room of Maria Feodorovna
The Dressing Room of Maria Feodorovna as originally completed in 1790 (designed by Charles Cameron, decorative finish by Vincenzo Brenna) exactly repeats the volume of the Dressing Room of Paul I. Between 1797 and 1799, however, when Brenna was constructing new state rooms in the southern wing of the palace, the Dressing Room of Maria Feodorovna was turned round by ninety degrees and, in essence, completely redone, whilst still preserving the basic concept at the heart of the original decor. Stucco moulding and paintings of garlands of roses covered the walls. Two landscapes of the Pavlovsk Park (A. Martynov and D.-B. Scotti, 1798-1804) were painted on the dry plaster in the centre (restored after the war with Losseses to the painting made good). The supports of the vault contained three allegorical compositions painted by Johann Jakob Mettenleiter - The Triumph of Venus, Venus at her Toilette and The judgement of Pans (recreated by A. Treskin after the war from photographs and analogies).
Figurative bas-reliefs - a large square (Ivan Prokofiev, 1797-99) and a small rectangular (Ivan Terebenev (?), 1804) - are placed in the key points of the stucco moulding on the walls. After the war, new casts were made from the restored originals and mounted in the walls (several damaged originals are still kept in the palace depositories). An alabaster lamp (late 18th century) that hung from the ceiling supplemented the decor of the room. Four commodes once stood by the walls of the room with small porcelain services on them. Before the doors leading out onto the balcony was a steel dressing table with a chair and a bench (S. Samann, Tula, 1787). The dressing table stands as before in its historical place. There is a perspective fresco made by Pietro Gonzaga in 1807 on the butt-end wall behind the glazed door. Painted out in the second half of the nineteenth century, it was cleared after the war and restored with some additions to the lost painting.